Building a new mound can be a time consuming project. There are different ways to complete the process. In this case study the following steps were completed:
- Install the pitchers rubber 10 inches above home plate
- Install Dura Edge Classic infield mix at a depth of 4 inches and compact.
- Ensure the mound is sloped correctly.
- Layout the high traffic area down the slope of the mound and remove 4 inches of the infield mix. Note: Dura Pitch Mound Clay was installed in front of pitching rubber at the time of pitching rubber installation.
- Install 4 inches of Dura Pitch Mound Clay
- Work up the mound using a Mantis tiller ensuring that the interface between the mound clay and the infield mix is consistent. This will sure that there is no distinct line where the two materials meet which will cause issues in wet weather.
- Re-slope the mound and level the sides of the mound using screed boards.
- Compact with the tires of a utility vehicle.
- Repeat as needed to finish the grade.
- Condition with 3 bags of calcined clay.
To see how to slope a mound and build a cost effective slope board, click HERE.
To see how to renovate a mound on a budget, click HERE.
Go to j-dturf.com to learn more about J&D Turf.